Friday, November 30, 2012

Homemade Cloth Diaper detergent

Almost every brand of cloth diapers has their own special detergent that they want you to use on their diapers. But unless you have a CD store in your area you will more than likely have to order it online.  And if  you're like me and don't have a credit or debit card then you are kind of in a tough spot.

That is why I decided to do a little research on homemade detergent and came across a lot of information.  With most of the detergents containing 3 similar ingredients: Borax, Washing Soda, and Oxiclean. So I just took that information, went to my local Wal*Mart and was able to find all the ingredients there. I then went home and got to work.

My CD detergent Recipe:

  • 2 Cup Washing Soda
  • 2 Cup Borax
  • 1 Cup Sun Oxygen (similar to Oxiclean just cheaper)
The process to making this was simple.  I me`asured out and mixed all 3 ingredients together in my plastic container and it was done.  But I went a step further and transferred some of it into a Mason Jar just because it is easier to store on my washer.  Use 2 Tablespoons per load



Washing Method #1

Rinse/Spin cycle on cold with no detergent, Full wash cycle on hot with 2 TBSP detergent, Rinse/Spin cycle on cold with no detergent.  I then hang dry the covers and Pocket diapers and throw the FSTs, inserts, and perfolds into the dryer on medium/low heat for 30-45 minutes.

I've gotten lazy though and now use this method:

Washing Method #2

Full wash cycle on Cold with 2 TBSP detergent and then throw everything into the dryer on Medium/low heat for 30-45 minutes.
There are those weeks though where I go a little longer between washes, like last week, and when that happens I end up doing method #1 and sometimes add 1 or 2 extra rinses at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment